From dated Tudor-style cottage to modern farmhouse with a coastal touch, this 3,400-square-foot West Saanich home was transformed by designers Jenny Martin and Samantha Ritchie of Jenny Martin Design. Recognized for their boutique interiors, Martin’s team collaborated with custom home builder, Chris Clark of Coast Prestige Homes to design his own home.
“The homeowners wanted a bright, naturally lit space to come home to, with a layout that allowed for space to entertain and enough room to start a family one day,” states Martin, who says the project was a combined effort between her team and the owner. Informed by the home’s rural setting, Martin and Ritchie chose a palette of warm grey and white, with white oak floors, clean-lined moulding and a mixture of natural wood and painted millwork.
Shiplap wall detail wrapped around the staircase and kitchen, play up the farmhouse feel and cleverly conceal the touch-latch door to the walk-in pantry off the dining room. The natural wood island mirrors the arched frame over the range, where a single slab of porcelain creates a soft, marble look to complement the stainless hood and appliances.
Quartz countertops and open-frame pendant lights finish the look, picking up chrome elements in the living room and foyer. Eric Gummer of Thomas Philips Woodworking was instrumental in creating another surprise element in the media room, where the television cabinet doubles as a secret door, pivoting to access the home’s electrical and water systems. The natural wood and porcelain backsplash tiles of the wet bar echo finishing details in the kitchen and bathrooms.
In the master bath, a floating double vanity in natural wood warms elegant marble floors and shower/tub surround. To eliminate a step into the shower, the designers included a linear drain along the back wall. Under-cabinet lighting adds subtle ambience, as well as navigational glow for late night trips to the washroom, a feature also included in the guest bathroom, where linear subway tiles and a honeycomb vanity backsplash modernize the classic finishing features.
“With every design, I like to include something unexpected, an element that stirs interest or surprise,” says Martin. Paired with the perfect balance of white oak, warm whites and, classic linen textures, these impactful elements create a home with West Coast appeal that is both modern and timeless.
- Interior Designer: Jenny Martin of Jenny Martin Design
- Builder: Chris Clark of Coast Prestige Homes
- Millwork: Thomas Philips Woodworking
- Flooring: Island Floor Centre
- Countertops: Stone Age Marble & Granite / Floform
- Barstools: Chester Fields
- Pendant light over dining table: Visual Comforts (supplied by JMD)
- Lights over the kitchen island: Visual Comforts (supplied by JMD)
- Kitchen appliances: Lansdowne Appliances
- Kitchen hardware: Restoration Hardware
- Grey bathroom wallpaper: Crown Wallpaper (supplied by JMD)
- Bathroom fixtures: Riobel / Kohler
- Bathroom hardware: Restoration Hardware
- Furniture: Restoration Hardware
- Windows: Complete Windows
- Doors: Metrie (Interior Doors) Karmanah Wood Design (Front Door)
- Plumbing: Bartel and Gibson