With its fluid design, functional simplicity and creative use of building materials, this Ten Mile Point family home is a bold expression of Flashhouse designer Ian Roberts’ devotion to modern living. Commissioned by a local developer with an appreciation for modern style, this 3,600-square-foot home allowed Roberts and his team an opportunity to introduce new design territory to a market ready to embrace innovation.
While the exterior features create a visually striking first impression, Roberts says he designs from the inside out, only determining exterior details after he sets the plan for the interior.
“Any modern design will use concrete, glass, and steel to support the requirements for natural light, fresh air, and connection with the outdoors,” says Roberts, who creates a bold effect here in the form of Douglas fir cladding, which hangs vertically on cleats over cement board panel. Together with linear windows, the cladding frames the architecturally strong front entry with its cheerful yellow door.
Inside, the layout is organized into separate family wings, including a master bedroom wing, surrounding a central living area. Roberts says this allows privacy for family members and guests alike, while also inviting a centralized, convivial lifestyle with natural flow between the different areas of the home.
Finishing features reflect the spare, simple living that Roberts emphasizes in each of his designs, pulling in details like vertical room dividers and fireplace paneling that echo the exterior.
Quartz countertops and a mixture of walnut and white cabinetry complement durable wood floors, while the elevated dining room provides a subtle separation of space without losing connection to the great room.
Walls of windows maximize northern light exposure while inviting the terraced rear garden into the home. The sloped topography and surrounding trees provide the homeowners with plenty of privacy.
Although this home is very much about “place,” Roberts says its architectural elegance deliberately stands out from its surroundings, a beautiful illustration of authentic modern architecture.
- Residential Designer: Ian Roberts of Flashhouse
- Interior Designer: Sandy Nygaard of Nygaard Design
- General Contractor: Flashhouse
- Concrete work: Moriarty Developments
- Cabinetry and Millwork: Ceanesse Kitchens & Millwork
- Countertops: Colonial Countertops
- Kitchen appliances: Bosch
- Flooring: Hourigan’s Flooring
- Electrical: Pardell Electric
- Plumbing: Calibre Mechanical
- Windows: West Coast Windows
- Doors: Slegg Lumber
- Fireplace: Montigo
- Bathroom Tilework: Ricardo Pontedur of Premium Tile
- Exterior Cladding: T-Bone Construction
- Concrete finishing: Thorburn Concrete Finishing