Summer time and the livin’s easy with these these 10 innovative garden gadgets that are guaranteed to make your green thumb even greener. Whether you are a hobby gardener or an urban organic farmer, you need the right tools to put your best gardening foot forward. From reusing wine bottles in the Plant Nanny to solar-powered mason jar lids, Dig This has what you need to before you get your hands dirty again.
1. Original Garden Broom – Mothers always know best. When Maria Rajanayagam’s mother said how much she missed the brooms she used in her native Sri Lanka, Maria paid attention. After careful research, Maria began to import this environmentally-friendly broom made from coconut tree branches. A cross between a corn broom and a rake, the Original Garden Broom stays firm and strong even when wet. It works on any surface, wet or dry, and easily cleans pine needles, leaves, fine material and even light snow from decks, sidewalks, patios, lawns, garden beds, doormats, cement floors, exposed aggregate and more.
2. Haws Watering Can – Sure, you can water the garden with a hose, a cheap watering can or even a bucket. But eventually, every serious gardener wants a British-made Haws Watering Can. Why? Because it performs perfectly and always looks smart. Full of water, it is always balanced and easy to pour. Plus whether made of plastic or metal, it is always stylish. Function really is the best designer.
3. Barnel Ratcheting Loppers – If you’ve ever tried to cut a large branch with a pair of hand pruners you know how difficult and painful it can be. Ratcheting loppers make it easy by multiplying the force you apply with your hands so you can cut through bigger branches with less effort. Barnel loppers are made in the USA and are much lighter than most on the market. Prune away with ease.
4. Dig This Tool Belt – For those absentminded moments the next best thing to a GPS on your garden tools is a good tool belt. Comfortable and functional, Dig This has custom designed a tool belt to carry all you need in the garden: tools, seed packages, gloves, even your cell phone.
5. Pinebush Hand Rake – Perfect for cleaning up under bushes and around plants in your garden beds, this sleek little hand rake is a must have. The round tines can spear hard to pick up leaves and its springy nature is gentle on perennials.
6. Garden Girl Rose Gloves – Love roses but not the thorns? Then you need a sturdy pair of gauntlet rose gloves. The long sleeves and double reinforced palm ward off thorns, while the adjustable buckle over the wrist allows for snug fitting.
7. EZ Digger – Garden smarter with this multi-purpose digger. The EZ Digger is a killer weeder, transplanter and cultivator. Also useful in case of the zombie apocalypse.
8. Plant Nanny – Plants need water when you go on vacation. So do you trust them to the neighbour’s kid? No, you enlist the Plant Nanny. Simply fill a wine bottle with water, invert the bottle and attach it to the terracotta spike and push the cone into the soil of your container. Viola! Porous terra cotta allows the water to gradually seep out to keep your plants hydrated while you put your feet up. The best part is the first step: finding a friend to help you empty the wine bottle.
9. Garden Totes and Bags – A container for gathering for weeds, clippings and deadheading is a garden must. Canadian-made bags in three sizes, these bags are perfect for gathering apples, lettuce or other produce. The reinforced plastic won’t tear regardless of how heavy the load. The largest bags are great for leaves and all that garden waste you have to haul off to the municipal yard. Strong, Canadian-made, reusable. What’s not to love?
10. Solar-powered LED Mason Jar Lids – Ok, you don’t really need these, but you want them. Pair solar-powered lids with any small-mouth Mason jar, set it in the sun, and watch the light show as the sun starts to set. Line them up along a pathway for a spectacular entrance, use as a night light in your child’s room or scatter them in the garden for an evening barbecue. Add to the fun by filling the jar with beach glass, sand, shells or even a mini fairy garden. They make the perfect host gift for adults or children.